Sophia Bera is going to share strategies for building your financial runway to support you through your transition to self-employment.
She’s the founder of Gen Y Planning, offering financial planning services tailored to the needs of Millennials.
She saw an opportunity to start her own business because she felt the financial industry that employed her, didn’t really get how to communicate to her generation.
Of the many lessons packed into this episode, here’s a few to keep an ear out for:
- How Sophia has designed her work and life based on a vision exercise she did 5 years ago.
- Why constantly changing your job within the same industry might never solve your dissatisfaction with your work.
- Why she believes entrepreneurship is the new job security for Millennials.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Aligning habits with your purpose.
- Reframing mindset.
- Embracing discomfort.
How Sophia Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 7:00-8:00am
- Superpower: Builds close connections quickly.
- Definition of success: Based off of visioning exercise from 5 years ago. She wakes up when she wants, has no morning meetings, works from home/anywhere, stays active throughout the day and being social.
- Regains focus by: Using a Pomodoro app.
“I believe that entrepreneurship is the new job security for my generation.”
“I try to focus less on how people are spending their money and more on what they value.”
“What we do every day is more important than what we do once in a while.”
Trouble visualize how you want to work? Sophia offers this advice:
1) Draw/write out ideal day and build from there.
2) Figure out the next right step and just start there.