Do you feel stuck in your job? Monica Kang wants to show you how to unlock your creative mindset to make your work more fun and more fulfilling.
She’s the founder of InnovatorsBox, offering workshops, tools and community to help reframe your mindset from feeling overwhelmed and anxious to creative and thriving.
She’s also the author of Rethink Creativity, debunking everything ever taught to you about creativity!
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- When you understand your Why, you attract people who are aligned with you.
- Why she felt stuck in her dream career.
- The very first steps she took to get herself unstuck to create work on her terms.
- Why creativity is all about leaning into your curiosity.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Tell your story.
How Monica Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Lately around 9:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Strategic, macro-lens planning to keep smaller activities tied into the bigger goal and do more with less. 2) Connect dots faster to make processes succinct and enjoyable. 3) Finding ways to communicate more thoughtfully and employing “yes, and” approaches to compromise.
- Ideal work environment: After a lot of good sleep and good food, feeling psychologically safe and encouraged to promote more safety for other people.
- Superpower: Making rooms feel safe, no matter who’s in the room, and making people feel they can be themselves.
“When you have a clear ‘why,’ you organically keep coming across the people who align with that ‘why.'”
“Some people will never get you and that’s ok as long as you believe and you know where you’re heading and why this is important.”
“I was more energized because I was now curious.”
“Just because somebody says, ‘this is the limit,’ does not mean you choose that to be the limit.”
“You can’t skip self-awareness.”
Feel like you aren’t creative? Monica recommends this action to test your assumption about lacking creativity:
1) Pick something you do at work that you know you always have to do and try to do the same thing with fewer steps.
2) Thinking about the same task, what can you do to make it more fun?
Resources + Bonus Materials
Podcast episode about being clear on your inner world and aligning with yourself