Zandra Cunningham took a different approach. When her dad wouldn’t buy her any more lip balm at the age of 9, she decided to make her own.
Her act of self-reliance eventually grew into her own business, Zandra Beauty.
Now at the age of 16, she is the CEO of a company that sells 36 different handmade beauty products, has 4 full-time employees and generated $100,000 in sales in 2016. And yes, she’s still tending to her studies and shares how she manages to do it all!
What’s even more impressive is her mission to help provide education to girls around the world. She donates 10% of her profits to that cause.
This teen entrepreneur is wise beyond her years. Here are a few important lessons she shares in our chat:
- Self-promotion. Why reaching out to potential customers is just as important as fussing over your product, if not more so.
- Selling on Etsy. Check out her coaching advice below for getting your product found on Etsy.
- Social causes. Why aligning your business with a social cause might strengthen the purpose behind your business.
And Zandra is offering a special 15% discount on all her products for Life Skills That Matter listeners! Keep reading to get the promo code!
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community.
- Give back.
- Self-directed learning.
- Telling your story.
How Zandra Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 12pm (she’s a night owl!)
- Core work habits: 1) Connect with customers on social media 2) Create product in her studio 3) Research new opportunities for building her community
- Definition of success: Says her business is a dream come true despite all the hard work and sacrifices.
- Superpower: Making other people laugh.
- Book recommendation: 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Favorite productivity tool: Google Calendar
- 90-day goal: Get more mass distribution partnerships.
“Starting is the first step to greatness. Just start.”
“We have the power to change not only our own lives, but those around us like our family and our community.”
“Build a foundation, a community. Networking is key.”
I asked Zandra if she could share some advice for selling products on Etsy. Here are her recommendations:
1) She loves selling on Etsy because she feels their platform provides mechanisms to protect both buyers and sellers.
2) If you have a product, but no website, she feels Etsy is a great alternative.
3) To get your product found you need to have a unique product AND a unique story to tell about your product. Be clear about your mission.
4) Never stop sharing and promoting your product on other social media platforms to drive sales.
Resources + Bonus Materials
And Zandra has a special offer for all Life Skills That Matter listeners!
When you shop at ZandraBeauty.com, get 15% off your purchase when you use this promo code: lifeskills16
This offer expires within 30 days of the release date of this episode.