Diana Wu David wants to inspire you to take ownership of your career right now, so you will be prepared for the changing nature of work!
Her new book, Future Proof: Reinventing Work in the Age of Acceleration, Diana shares how to create more sustainable work as economic change accelerates.
Her own career journey provides valuable lessons for how to build a more resilient career and how to feel more human as you work.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- How to apply changes we see in business to our own lives.
- Why Diana decided to stop tracking the progress of her career in tandem with the progress of her employer.
- The life-changing experience that changed Diana’s approach to her career.
- The changing nature of competition.
- How she’s raising her children to develop self-awareness and resilience.
- Why experimentation is so important as you continue to develop yourself.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Self-direct your learning
- Reframe your mindset
- Practice self-awareness
How Diana Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 5:30 – 6:00 am
- Ideal work environment: A dedicated place where she can put her stuff down and leave it so that she can come in day after day to focus on the work.
- Definition of success: To leave an impression with others that she had respect for other people, that she made solid connections, and that she made an impact in other people’s lives.
“We talk about the future of work, but the reality is that it’s the present. It’s right now.”
“You never know what your side projects will lead to.”
“Learning via experimentation is one of the most important things.”
To start preparing for the future of work, Diana recommends these steps:
1) Shift your mindset to embrace learning through small experiments.
2) When you think you have it all figured out, start thinking about what’s next. What kind of things are you interested in and what might be adjacent to what you’re doing now?
Resources + Bonus Materials
Download the first two chapters FREE at www.dianawudavid.com/futureproof
What the future of work looks like! Diana was kind enough to share what life looks like when you wake up at 5:30am in Hong Kong to squeeze in a podcast to promote your new book with a podcaster based in Boston! Thank you Diana!!
Related Episodes and Posts
Connect With Diana