Are you trying to build your business all on your own? Stop trying to go it alone! Jill Salzman wants to share how the power of community will accelerate your growth faster than going it alone.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Why you need to ask for help sooner in your business than you think.
- Get advice from like-minded people to motivate you.
- Biggest obstacles Jill faced building her business and how she overcame them.
- How becoming a mother motivated her to let go of her first business to start a new one.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community.
- Tell your story.
How Jill Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 8:00 am with kids or 10:00 am without them.
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Check her email. 2) Check Slack. 3) Fit in 30 minutes of a walk, a jog, or a breather.
- Ideal work environment: In a co-working space where she can move locations throughout the day.
- Superpower: Peopling and connecting people.
- Regains focus by: She doesn’t really get off track after being so used to getting interrupted by little people.
“That’s, honestly, the number one thing that’s in our way is ourselves.”
“Once you can get in front of all of that: the insecurities, the fears, whatever’s stopping you, blocking you, self-sabotage – then you start glowing and the business starts blowing up and you start shining.”
“The one thing you have to learn in entrepreneurship, besides becoming a more vulnerable person, is that nothing happens as fast as you want it to.”‘
“You need to talk to other people to figure out what you need.”
“You have to keep collecting all the failures, which aren’t actually failures, they’re just arrows pointing you in the right direction.”
Are you a busy mom struggling to find the time to connect with a community? Jill had these ideas for finding and meeting your people:
1) Similar to joining a gym or starting therapy, you do have time, you just have to make time in your calendar for it.
2) Even if it’s an hour or fifteen minutes a week, carve out time to ask around to find your group.
3) Be willing to ask the pointed question: what are you looking for?
Resources + Bonus Materials
For folks who want to join The Founding Moms, use code “onemofree”!
Connect With Jill