Angela Crocker wants to inspire you to own your digital life, so you can make it work for you. She’s a prolific writer and the author of 7 books on digital living including Declutter Your Data, Digital Life Skills for Youth and her latest book, Digital Legacy Plan.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Her passion for connecting people with each other is the thread of her career.
- How to be less intimated by tech as you start your business.
- Her decision-making framework Time + Talent + Treasure.
- How to use social media without getting overwhelmed by it.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community.
- Self-directed learning.
- Tell your story.
How Angela Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 8:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Write. 2) Be mindful of sharing her content and making sure it gets out there in the world. 3) Make sure she’s keeping her research organized to maintain her authority in her field.
- Ideal work environment: Late in the day, at her desk (a replica of an old, roll-top desk with 43 drawers), in silence, notifications turned off, and with a hot cup of tea.
- Superpower: Organizing.
- 90-day goal: Finishing her new manuscript.
“One of the things that I have always tried to do is to make meaningful connections.”
“I do try and be careful about how I am online, when I’m online, and what I’m doing and if I’m doing something frivolous, I own that!”
“This is my work, is to help people learn digital life skills, help them navigate the digital life.”
“We need our people, no doubt about it.”
“I don’t judge people by how many followers they have, I judge them by the quality of the content they share and the way that they treat people.”
Concerned about the ethics of digital marketing? Angela shares how to build more genuine connections suing social media:
1) When you connect with someone, through any platform, get to know them.
2) Don’t immediately ask for too many things.
3) Always remember that you’re talking to humans on the other side and don’t talk to them any differently than you would in person.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Angela