My guests today, Travis Wade Miller and Luke Faulconer, are on a 52-week journey to help 52 nonprofits in 52 different cities to help spark the development of Luke’s nonprofit marketing platform Troolu.
And get this, they only met 2 weeks before I interviewed them! Before we started the interview we chatted a bit on video, and it was the first time they had even seen each other!
What I love about this story is they have a loose plan, but really they are setting themselves up to learn so much about themselves, each other and of course tons of new skills!
Their first stop was in Atlanta in October where Luke lives. Since I interviewed them they have made it to 7 cities. You can check out the videos they’ve produced so far on Troolu.
Here are a couple of topics we dig into about how they are going to pull this huge plan off:
- Planning. How they are managing logistics, finding nonprofits and producing a weekly video.
- Funding. How they are supporting their nonprofit marketing platform and some of their longer-term revenue plans.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Learning through experimentation.
- Building community.
How Travis and Luke Work and Think
- Wake up time: Luke: 7 am; Travis: 8 am
- Ideal work environment: Luke: social settings with other entrepreneurs and business people; Travis: also social settings.
- Superpower: Luke: the ability to connect with people; Travis: being able to adapt to any situation.
- Wants to meet: Travis: Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, or another successful serial entrepreneur; Luke: Tim Ferriss.
- Regains focus by: Travis: talking to his friends; Luke: talking to his dad.
- Favorite productivity tool: Travis: Google Calendar; Luke: Evernote.
“As the journey goes along we’ll learn a lot of different things to set us up for the future.”
If you want to go on a big adventure in life like Travis and Luke they offer this advice for getting started:
1) Travis: Find a tribe of people working on the same cause.
2) Luke: Establish goals and a mission bigger than yourself.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Travis and Luke