Jess Edelstein found a problem in her life she wanted to solve. She wanted a natural deodorant that wouldn’t irritate her skin and would actually work unlike most of the products she tried.
Now that experiment is making her millions in revenue!
She’s the co-founder of PiperWai, a natural charcoal deodorant. I actually tried some of this stuff and it’s amazing. It really works, smells great and doesn’t make a mess like some other natural deodorants I’ve used.
She and her co-founder landed on an episode of Shark Tank (see video below) in December 2015 and that exposure was a game-charger for their company.
Within 6 months of being on the show, their revenues grew by 4000%. They were the third-fastest growing company to hit a million in revenue after appearing on SharkTank . . . they did it in one week!
Some fantastic lesson in this episode including:
- How she made a batch of 2500 jars for her first big order using a community kitchen.
- How she managed the explosive growth of her business after appearing on Shark Tank and why you can’t rely on one big promotional splash to grow your business.
- Taking in feedback from customers and using that as a way to continuously improve the product.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Practicing self-awareness.
- Building community.
- Managing your energy.
How Jess Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:00-7:00am, without an alarm.
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Maintaining Inbox Zero at least 1-2 times per week. 2) Eating breakfast. 3) Having an office that is dog-friendly.
- Ideal work environment: Working in the morning at the office in a co-working environment.
- Regains focus by: Taking care of urgent tasks, responding to notifications for working tasks that need to be taken care of immediately.
- 90-day goal: Surviving their new launch and growing the team.
“I’m not the type of person that’s meant to have a boss. I’m meant to be in charge of my own success.”
“We decided to take the jump and go for it because no one else was doing what we were doing.”
“I don’t like letting my future be in anybody else’s hands but my own.”
“Spend a few years of your life like no one else, so you can spend the rest of your life like no one can.”
To break out of your own head and start experimenting with ideas and prototypes, Jess offers the following suggestions:
1) Just jump in. You can always find excuses to procrastinate so just get started.
2) Talk to people. There are always people in the entrepreneurial community that want to help.
3) Utilize your down time while you’re still employed to experiment and try things out.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Watch Jess pitch PiperWai on SharkTank:
Get 15% off your purchase of any PiperWai products by using the couple code: LIFESKILLS
Visit PiperWai now!