Why am I such a big fan? The thread of his 30+ year career has been all about making air travel more human and as a result, he runs businesses by focusing on humans first.
This year, he’s launching his fourth airline, Breeze Airways.
I’ve been a long-time fan of Jetblue and I had the opportunity to fly another one of David’s airlines, Azul, this summer on my way to the Amazon. Onboard one of my flights, I met one of his long-time executives, Jason Ward, who connected me with David.
See what happens when you keep reaching out and, you keep asking for opportunities? You get to interview one of your entrepreneur heroes!!
I’m also excited by David’s vision for his latest airline to make it easier to travel between second and third-tier cities in the U.S. I think it’s a huge opportunity for remote workers like myself to lower their cost of living!
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Why he wants to start yet another airline instead of retiring.
- What he’s done to cultivate a work environment that makes people feel like they have the best job of their lives.
- How his social capital and his track record helped him break investing records when he started JetBlue.
- His approach to dealing with setbacks.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Align your habits
- Embrace discomfort
- Self-direct your learning
- Reframe your mindset
“I love transportation…it’s just an opportunity to take people to new places and do things more efficiently.”
“You have all these people in your life that come along at the right times and help you kind of steer you in the right direction.”
“Completely out-of-the-box thinking is really the best way to do it.”
“There are a lot of people in Portugal and Brazil that are so thrilled that I got fired at JetBlue, so it’s not what happens to you it’s how you deal with it.”
If you’re on the fence about getting a business off the ground, David shared this advice:
1) Make sure you’re actually an entrepreneur and not just into the idea of being an entrepreneur.
2) Think about whether or not you’re consumed by your idea and if it’s everything to you.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With David