Do you ever feel like your job is adversely affecting your health? It’s stressing you out, you’re losing sleep over it and constantly eating on the run? Lenny Gale was once in your shoes. Listen to why leaving the corporate grind motivated him to build a business around wellness.
He felt like he wasn’t happy because he wasn’t doing enough to succeed in the work he was doing, but eventually realized it was because he wasn’t doing the work he was meant to do.
He and his wife manage a blog called Life is NOYOKE focused on health living, specifically sharing vegan Vitamix recipes. In fact, they are the top affiliate marketer for Vitamix.
A few lessons in our conversation include:
- Why comparing yourself against the success of others might feel comfortable, but it’s not going to help you grow.
- Why it took him a year to decide he wanted to be self-employed and another year to be able to work on his own.
- Why taking a trip abroad on his own for a few weeks to figure out how to begin directing his life in the direction he wanted to go.
- How he pushed back against peer pressure to make the changes he wanted to start making while he was employed.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Telling your story.
- Practicing self-awareness.
- Embracing discomfort.
How Lenny Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 5:00am
- Superpower: Giving really good advice and helping individuals work through their unique challenges.
- Favorite productivity tool: Pen and paper.
- 90-day goal: Get their ebook in the hands of as many people as possible, with a goal of 750 downloads.
“When I left the corporate grind…I was not well and I decided to make wellness my work.”
“I think it’s really coming to terms with how you want to work and how you want to spend your time, day-to-day.”
“You don’t need to make a drastic change, you don’t need to do a complete 180. Just dabble.”
Making career transitions can be a huge drain on your energy, so Lenny offered the following simple advice:
Do something simple every day. It can be as simple as making smoothies to get an early, quick, easy win through eating great food.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Here are two of Lenny’s employee cards, before and after he started taking control of his health.