As a solopreneur, I hang out in coffee shops a lot to work! After watching many different coffee shop owners work so hard on their business, I’ve often wondered what it takes to run one. This episode will share the process of how to start a coffee shop.
When I visit my sister and business partner in Viera, FL, we often hang out at a coffee shop called Bold Cup Coffee.
Tara and I have been very impressed with how its owner Alex Flores and his wife Lauren, run their business, so we asked Alex if he would share how to start a coffee shop on our podcast!
Not surprisingly, it has a lot do to with cultivating life skills!
Before he was a coffee shop owner, he was an occupational therapist and he shares how he has applied those skills to building his coffee shop. His wife still runs a pediatric occupational therapy clinic called 7 Senses Therapy.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Where Alex gets his motivation to keep moving forward when he faces setbacks.
- The 3 ingredients that are key to starting a coffee shop.
- How life skills can help you build a thriving team.
- The process he went through to discover that he wanted to leave his occupational therapy practice to start a coffee shop.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community
- Practice self-awareness
- Self-direct your learning
- Manage your energy
How Alex Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:00 – 6:30 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Knowing his numbers. 2) Know your clientele. 3) Cultivate physical and mental strength.
- Regains focus by: Being with his family.
“Every city, every town, every corner on the street has more than enough room for others to grow and create their own uniqueness.”
“It’s the worst thing in the world to have a thought in the back of your mind and have never done anything about it.”
“For whatever company or business you’re working for that is not your own, just imagine how much time you’ve devoted to something that wasn’t yours. So how much more time do you need to devote to something that is yours?”
Alex had this advice on how to start teaching yourself almost anything:
1) Focus and read about what you want to learn.
2) Break it down into the parts you need to learn and learn from others while focusing on developing what makes your business unique.