Luke Faulconer has wanted to work for himself for a long time, but had a tough time gaining any traction because his attention was split between too many different ideas.
I met him a few years ago when I interviewed him about a project he was working on creating videos for nonprofits as he traveled throughout the country. Check out my previous interview with him to see how far he’s come!
He joined our 30-Day Accelerator back in the spring of 2018 and through that process, he realized he needed to build a business around his passion for real estate and his skill of digital marketing.
He eventually started Peak Leads, a digital marketing firm to help real estate professionals generate more qualified leads.
Several months ago I got a message from Luke that he was making enough money to leave his job to work full-time on his business!
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Why you’ll eventually burn out if you start a business just for the money.
- Luke’s advice for narrowing down your interests to focus on an idea for starting a business.
- The process he used to shift his career, once he knew he wanted to focus on real estate.
- The importance of working with people that share your values and passions.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Self-direct your learning
- Align your habits
- Build your community
How Luke Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:30 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Networking and outreach. 2) Client fulfillment and making sure they get the best results. 3) Applying technology and systems to free up his time and his clients’ time.
- Ideal work environment: Usually outside his home – currently at a health club with plenty of work space, but that allows him to kill stress with a workout or some time in the sauna.
- Book recommendation: Own The Day, Own Your Life by Aubrey Marcus
“If you’re trying to chase too many squirrels, you’re really not gonna catch any of them.”
“It’s just a part of me now, I’m obsessed with learning.”
“The biggest thing for me has been outreach and community building.”
“There’s always gonna be the right client for you out there and going out and meeting enough people, you’re absolutely gonna find them.”
If you’re looking to make an investment in yourself through an online course, going to a retreat, hiring a coach, etc., Luke suggests making sure you do this first:
1) Find your why and have self-awareness.
2) Make sure your why is strong enough to get through the inevitable bumps in the road.
Schedule a free 30-minute consultation with Luke by letting him know you heard him on Life Skills That Matter when you email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.