You gotta first unlearn how work was taught to you before you can learn to design your own work.
Travis Thomas shares how improv can help you work for yourself and how improv has helped him unlearn what he thought work was supposed to be.
His training firm, Live Yes, And helps individuals and teams develop key improvisational skills to thrive in their work and life.
You can learn those key skills in his recently published book, 3 Words for Getting Unstuck.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- How the principles of improvisation apply to entrepreneurship.
- The gradual transition Travis made from his first improv class to eventually making improv his work.
- Why intentionally stepping away from your work can be necessary and valuable.
- Consider interrupting more of your routines, just to see what happens.
- Stop getting attached to specific outcomes.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Reframe your mindset
- Practice self-awareness
- Embrace discomfort
How Travis Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:15 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Self care. 2) Building relationships. 3) Creating by making videos, writing, or thinking of new programs.
- Ideal work environment: Somewhere to feel the connection of being around other people, like at a coffee shop, where he can also be outside, and having brief meetings with people.
- Superpower: Collaborating with people.
“The skill set and the mindset and the principles of improvisation are exactly the principles that help anyone thrive, be it entrepreneurs, be it athletes, or just any of us on a day to day basis.”
“That’s what entrepreneurs are having to figure out all the time is, how do I take care of myself in the grand scheme of trying to grow a business?”
“We’ve got to be willing to look at the things that we’ve just taken for granted simply because it’s the way things have always been done.”
If you’re trying to think of a new direction for your life or business, Travis identified these three principles of improvisation to help you spark your transition:
1) Learn to unlearn.
2) Interrupt the routine.
3) Embrace the goo.