Austin Church wants to inspire you to get vulnerable to make your work better, so you have the freedom to bring your whole self into your work.
I met him a ConvertKit’s Craft + Commerce Conference this past summer and we connected over a common vision of creating working with intention.
I like to think of him as a serial soloprenuer. He has built a variety of ventures to help writers, bloggers and freelancers build businesses they love. Some of those ventures include:
- Balernum, a firm helping brands launch, pivot and grow.
- The SPACE retreat, a real-time mastermind.
- Wunderbar, a consultancy to help people build profitable businesses they love.
- More recently, he published children’s book, Grabbling, a story about being brave and knowing when you’ve had enough.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Create better working relationships by being more vulnerable.
- Why he cultivates a portfolio of side hustles.
- Austin’s exercise of “go there” to analyze situations.
- Why resistance is an indicator of growth.
- How sensitivity can help you be more resilient and create better boundaries.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Tell your story
- Build your community
- Embrace discomfort
- Practice self-awareness
How Austin Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: It depends, he rarely sets an alarm.
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Praying. 2) Running. 3) Having a passion project or side hustle he can devote 15-30 minutes to each day.
- Superpower: Caring.
- 90-day goal: Setting up the new project manager up to succeed and replace him in a lot of their project management activity so he can finish up a book.
“When I think about when I have been the most vulnerable, those are some of the most transformative moments I’ve seen 2 with clients.”
“It’s just fun to create something, put it out in the world, and see it make an impact.”
“One thing that I love about sensitivity is its relationship with wisdom and discernment.”