The legendary productivity sage, David Allen, wants to inspire you to get things done working from home by clearing space in your head to focus on the work that matters to you most.
David is the author of the productivity bible, Getting Things Done. If you’re struggling to get organized, definitely read this book if you haven’t already!
I first read GTD over a decade ago and it gave me permission not to remember everything and to enjoy being in the present moment. Today I feel less anxious than ever before and more productive!
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Why you might be addicted to ambient anxiety.
- How to stop using your head as a crappy office.
- David defines productivity as doing what matters, not simply doing more.
- Focus on regaining control of your daily life first.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Align your habits
- Purge your life
How David Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Around 7:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Keep current with every communication with their licensees around the world. 2) Paying attention to creative ideas. 3) Keeping the GTD information alive and well.
- Definition of work: Stuff you want to do that’s not done yet.
- Definition of success: Achieving a desired result.
“It’s all about where you focus, so are you comfortable about where you’re focused or not?”
“Your day-to-day is out of control, don’t try to focus on anything beyond that until you get that handled, otherwise you’ll frustrate yourself and create guilt.”
“There’s an inverse relationship between ‘on your mind’ and ‘getting done.'”
“You can only feel good about what you’re not doing when you know what you’re not doing and most people don’t have a clue.”