Jeff Harry wants to inspire you to get paid to play for a living regardless of the type of work you want to do!
He’s the founder of Rediscover Your Play, helping individuals and organizations tap back into the wonder of play as a device to guide uncomfortable conversations.
I had the privilege of working with Jeff as a member of our Fall 2019 Accelerator that provided him with the foundation to go all-in on his business after getting laid off at the beginning of the pandemic in 2020.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- How Jeff turned play into a career path.
- Why working at toy companies was not fun for Jeff.
- Why so-called “experts” don’t always practice what they preach.
- How COVID turned his side business into his full-time gig.
- Why mourning is such an important part of the process of losing your job.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Self-directed learning.
- Tell your story.
How Jeff Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:00 – 7:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Starting with play and making videos. 2) Giving himself freedom to follow his curiosity. 3) Having grace and compassion for himself when he doesn’t feel like working.
- Ideal work environment: In a curious, flow state, having started his day with play and seeing his day from a play oriented lens.
- Superpower: Giving people permission to play by being the first to look silly.
- 90-day intention: Taking a risk per day.
“Instead of the cliché question, ‘what would you do if you couldn’t fail?’ I ask the question, ‘what would you do anyway if you knew you were gonna fail?'”
“We’re always one risk away from changing everything.”
“Someone is waiting for you to show up so they can show up.”
Feeling overwhelmed and anxious but having trouble slowing down? Jeff had this advice to help take a step back:
1) Remind yourself that nobody knows what they’re doing and we’re all just making it up as we go along.
2) Ask yourself if you’re claiming who you are or if you’re chasing your worth.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Jeff