Laura Foster wants to share why it’s possible to go from burned out to thriving more quickly than you realize.
She’s a professional leadership coach, who helps seasoned executives change their relationship with their work.
She says she especially loves working with people who hate their work! Learn more about her work at laurafostercoaching.com.
She worked in the fashion industry as a designer for 25 years. In 2007 she thought she landed her dream job, but overwork made her slowly question the role of her career in her life.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Why your creative energy isn’t infinite.
- The myth of the “hard worker”.
- How her breast cancer diagnosis started to shift her thinking.
- The changes she’s noticed in her clients as a result of the pandemic.
- Laura shares her insights to go from burned out to thriving.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community.
- Self-directed learning.
- Tell your story.
How Laura Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 8:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Build relationships. 2) Build relationships. 3) Build relationships.
- Ideal work environment: For writing, it used to be on airplanes, knowing she had that certain time to dedicate to it.
- Superpower: Compassion and creativity.
- Regains focus by: Spending time with her puppy.
- 90-day goal: Working on her book and starting a mastermind.
“Look what happened when I changed myself: everything in my experience changed.”
“We have all the answers inside of us. They’re not outside, a guru can’t give it to us, they’re in us.”
“Innovation can come from boredom.”
“It’s not just about the individuals that we affect, it’s about all the people those individuals affect through them going out in the world and being of greater service.”
Resources + Bonus Materials
In our chat, Laura mentioned her recently adopted puppy Stella Mae. How cute, right?!