Nicki Krawczyk shares how to start a freelance copywriter business using her own story as inspiration.
She’s a copywriter and content marketer. She also helps other copywriters start their own freelance business. Learn more about her work at FilthyRichWriter.
Lot of great lessons in our conversations including:
- Debunking the myth that you can’t earn a living as a writer.
- Why you might want to improve your writing skills to better communicate your story, even if you will never consider yourself a writer.
- How she found her first clients from her existing connections.
- Why you need a system to find and land clients.
- The basics for becoming a freelance copywriter.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Reframe your mindset.
- Self-directed learning.
- Tell your story.
How Nicki Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 5:02 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Checking in on Facebook ads. 2) Content creation. 3) Listening to podcasts to stay inspired, informed, and on top of her game.
- Ideal work environment: Having the ability to switch up where she is a couple times per day.
- Superpower: The ability to make genuine connections.
“Being able to convey what you want to get across, but also get it across in a way that makes it important to other people is a highly transferable skill.”
“What copywriting really is making connections.”
“Generally, resistance comes up in the direction that you should be heading, so you’ve gotta keep working through that.”
“You don’t get through resistance before you take the action, you get through it by taking the action.”
“Who you are is part of what makes your business unique.”
Having trouble with writer’s block? Nicki shared this advice for overcoming it:
1) Take a break and do something different like go for a walk or cook dinner to give your brain a chance to catch up.
2) Figure out what time of day you’re most effective and creative.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Nicki