Mindy Hu shares how she was inspired to launch her own business after a fairly impromptu trip to Antarctica. Now she wants to teach you how to find a business idea by traveling.
Lot of insight lessons in our chat including:
- Learning the value of downtime and introspection through traveling.
- How Mindy teaching herself through trial and error to develop her products and her business.
- Testing advertising messages by using different hashtags on Instagram.
- How she juggles a full-time job and a side hustle.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community
- Practice self-awareness
- Purge your life
- Self-direct your learning
How Mindy Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:00am
- Ideal work environment: In the mornings, with a clear goal, but also with flexibility in how she achieves that goal.
- Superpower: The ability to understand someone by just talking to them briefly.
- Definition of success: Being able to turn her passion into a business and share her story every day with individuals.
- Book recommendation: The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
- Regains focus by: Taking some alone time to recharge her batteries.
- 90-day goal: Get into more brick and mortar locations in Seattle and get out into the community more.
“Why do we need a face cream, a hand cream, a body cream, and a foot cream? I just want the best cream for everything.”
“If you love what you do, it never feels like working. You’re just constantly learning, improving, and being your best self.”
“Books are your friend when you’re traveling solo.”
If you’re feeling stuck and want to go on a big travel adventure like Mindy did, she offers the following tips to get started and to make the most of your experience:
1) Don’t plan every detail. Go with an open mind so that you can take the opportunities that come up.
2) Keep it flexible and embrace the journey.
3) Take time to reflect on your experience and understand your achievement.