Craig Chavis shares loads of ideas on how to design your lifestyle around work you love.
His latest startup Visajump is an app to help travelers manage their travel documentation more easily and effectively as they travel the globe.
Our conversation is jam-packed with amazing examples and advice like:
- How Craig started the first craft distillery from scratch in Peru.
- He shares his advice on raising money for your startup without hitting up your family and friends.
- Why he says don’t quit your job without a plan for how you are going to build your business.
- Don’t go out into the world to prove what’s right with your business, prove what’s wrong with it to make it better using the scientific method.
- How to build your business while you are working a full-time job.
- Why you need a board of advisors.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Embrace discomfort
- Listen and observe
- Build community
How Craig Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Between 5:00 and 5:30am.
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Plan out the week every Sunday with the co-founder. 2) Meet and execute on the plan on Monday. 3) Attend the accelerator events and meetings with investors and mentors.
- Ideal work environment: Early in the morning in a relaxed, open environment.
- Regains focus by: Working out, using a lot of energy in the right way.
- 90-day goal: Get the pitch, business model, and customer discovery process down pat in order to raise capital and build an MVP.
“You don’t explain to people what you’re doing, but why are you doing it.”
“One of the worst pieces of advice people get is just to quit their job and to jump into entrepreneurship and so many people get screwed over because they don’t have a plan.”
“Traveling the world can really impact your life when you experience something completely outside of the norm.”
“Closed mouths don’t get fed. Problems get solved when they’re expressed and they’re known.”
When you’re starting out and spending time thinking about your business idea, Craig made these suggestions to maximize the use of your time:
1) Don’t waste it. Be intentional about planning how and why you’ll use that time.
2) View your time as a tool and find ways to wield it effectively.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Get early access to Visajump by signing up here!