Diania Merriam wants to inspire you to confront your money issues, so you can make your money work for you!
She tackled her own money issues by learning how to reframe her mindset about money.
She’s so passionate about liberating others from their own money issues, she decided to create a conference called the EconoMe Conference in Cinncinati, OH on March 7th, 2020.
If you’re interested in attending, Diania has generously offered a 10% discount to all LSTM listeners. Just use the code LIFESKILLS when you register!
So what makes this interview extra special is that it almost didn’t happen! I was originally scheduled to interview her back in September, but our interview quickly descending into a powerful coaching session because she told me she was deeply depressed about the conference she was organizing.
At the time, I suggested we record our conversation, so Diania could hear herself in her own voice about how she was going to overcome the challenges she was facing. She agreed and with her permission, she also allowed me to share some of that recording with you!
Her original goal was to sell 700 tickets. Back in September, she had already sold 10 tickets with no email list, no traffic coming to her website and had never done a conference like this before! Her habit of outreach enabled her to sell the first 10 tickets 6 months before her event!
When she reached back out to me in early January to let me know she was over her depression, she had sold 100 tickets! And she did all of this while working a full-time job!
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Why she’s more passionate about managing money than making it.
- The important distinction between goals and intentions.
- What the FIRE movement is all about.
- Why she wanted to do a conference as her method of educating people about money management.
- Why financial independence is different for everyone.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community
- Align your habits
- Reframe your mindset
- Purge your life
How Diania Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Between 6:00 – 8:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Marketing 2) Doing outreach. 3) Planning logistics for the event.
- Ideal work environment: Sometimes working with someone she knows in the same place to help stay focused. Other times, at her desk with binaural beats playing and taking plenty of breaks
- Favorite productivity tool: Everyday app
“The intention of it really isn’t to make money, it’s more to create something that I really want to see in the world.”
“My life looks so different all because I got my mind wrapped around my money situation and I saw it as a really powerful resource to create the life that I love.”
“We need to really tailor the things we learn from other people to see what resonates with us and what applies to us.”
“The skills that make me a really good employee don’t serve me as an entrepreneur.”
For anyone feeling super stuck, Diania gave this advice for getting unstuck:
Give yourself compassion since you’re probably stuck due to beating yourself up.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Use discount code LIFESKILLS to get 10% off general admission tickets to the EconoMe Conference in Cinncinati, OH on March 7th, 2020!