Marc Mawhinney shares how to build a content creation habit to build your audience, so more of your potential clients come to you, instead of you chasing after them.
He’s a coach who coaches coaches by helping them get more clients. You can learn more about his work at Natural Born Coaches and check out his podcast by the same name.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- How Marc built his current audience organically without paid advertising after leaving his real estate business.
- The 3 pillars of his content creation habit: podcast, Facebook Group and a daily email.
- Why it’s so important to develop your own voice and don’t be afraid to take a stand.
- Don’t listen to feedback.
- Set an independence day from your job if you are serious about working for yourself.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Self-direct your learning
- Build your community
- Align your habits
How Marc Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Developing his business and content on podcasts, Facebook, and emails. 2) Journaling. 3) Reading and listening to audiobooks.
- Ideal work environment: From his home office for general work and he gets his best ideas for content creation during activities like driving, walking, or sitting on the beach.
- Book recommendation: Thick Face, Black Heart by Chin-Ning Chu
- Regains focus by: Listening to a good audiobook to shift his mood.
- Favorite productivity tool: Online calendars like ScheduleOnce.
- 90-day goal: Get his book launched.
“It’s all about the daily effort and consistency.”
“If you’re just trying to echo what you think people want to hear, I don’t think it’s going to be as powerful.”
“There’s no way you can be a busy entrepreneur and not use some kind of calendar system.”
The most common pieces of advice Marc gives to first time entrepreneurs:
1) KMF – Keep Moving Forward.
2) TCB – Taking Care of Business.