Not a fun feeling right? I was laid off just once, over 16 years ago and was so jolted by the experience I decided to never work for anyone again!
Sometimes losing your job can be the best thing to ever happen to you like it was for Nathan Kauffman. He’s going to offer tons of inspiration about becoming your own boss!
He is the founder of Remarkable Digital, a full-service digital marketing agency based in Rochester, NY. The focus of Nathan’s firm is to help his clients feel less overwhelmed about all their digital marketing options by becoming more confident in the communication of their message.
As he’ll explain, he was fired from a job doing biz dev for a digital advertising firm, but quickly realized he could do the same work all on his own. He told me he’s making double the money he was making when he got fired!
The best part of working on his own has been the opportunity to be creative all the time.
Few lessons that pop up in our conversation include:
- Why building a team was one of the first actions he took when he started their business.
- After traveling to Ireland, Nathan decided to make the ability to travel and see the world a priority in his life.
- How to approach life and work as seasons, rather than trying to find a static work/life balance.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Planning your actions.
- Managing your energy.
- Practicing self-awareness.
- Telling your story.
How Nathan Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 7:00 – 7:30am
- Peak Performance Period: Late morning/ early afternoon, sometimes evenings.
- Book recommendation: Shoe Dog
- Favorite productivity tool: TeuxDeux app
- 90-day goal: Successfully launching new processes and helping with client goals.
“He [Phil Knight] really fell into a lot of the success just trying to do the right things; things worked out for him.”
“Your business story and your business success is, I think, completely tied to your personal story.”
Nathan shares why personal branding is such an important first step when starting your business.
Invest in the process of branding yourself.
It will help you define your own business, as well as give you perspective to help your clients.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Check out my previous interview with Nathan about how he became self-employed: