Jillian Hubbard wants to inspire you to be your authentic self at work, as well as inspiring employers to encourage more authenticity in the workplace.
To accomplish this lofty goal, she’s building a talent and diversity inclusion consultancy. She helps companies achieve their goals by operating in a way that is more inclusive and embraces the diversity of its workforce.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Why so many people don’t feel excited and comfortable at their place of work.
- How Jillian wants you to feel at the end of your workday.
- Approach conversations as part of a trust development cycle rather than a sales cycle.
- How she turned staying in touch with like-minded people in a system.
- Ways to make your business more inclusive, starting with yourself.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Tell your story
- Manage your energy
- Reframe your mindset
- Practice self-awareness
How Jillian Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 6:00 – 7:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Checking her calendar for to-do lists and appointments. 2) Taking time to step back from the day-to-day work and take an inventory of herself and the business. 3) Building relationships.
- Superpower: Building relationships and trust.
- Book recommendation: Free Agent Nation by Dan Pink and Finding Your Element by Sir Ken Robinson
- Regains focus by: Embrace the loss of focus, take a break, then come back to it.
- 90-day goal: Business development and surviving grad school while scaling the business.
“I want to focus on talent and the people side of work and also bringing in the diversity and equity and inclusion aspect of it, too.”
“I definitely think you can build a business around your passion. I think anything’s possible as long as you’re creative.”
There are many ways to reach out to others so it’s important to understand and create your own outreach habits, Jillian listed the following as her outreach habits:
1) A mix of both in-person and online communication
2) Even as an extrovert, she needs time to process interactions so she limits her days to no more than three big networking or relationship building meetings.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Reach out to Jillian for a free intro coaching session! Email her at email@example.com and let her know you heard her here on the Life Skills That Matter podcast!