Pete Mockaitis, host of the popular How to Be Awesome At Your Job Podcast, joins us to share how to respond more effectively to our rapidly changing economy by learning how to be awesome at your professional development.
I was on his show this past fall talking about the 3 most important life skills to future-proof your career.
Pete is a speaker, coach and trainer, helping people like you take charge of your career, learn more at Awesome At Your Job.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- How to think about building multiple revenue streams by focusing around a similar idea.
- How he guided his own professional development early on in his career.
- Pete’s definition of consulting and how anyone can explore it through their own areas of expertise.
- The most common mistake people make managing their careers.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build your community
- Reframe your mindset
- Tell your story
- Embrace discomfort
How Pete Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: About 7:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Keep cranking out the podcasts. 2) Have coaching calls with people. 3) Grow his audience for the podcast.
- Ideal work environment: About 8:15 am, in his office, insulated from the noise of his home
- Regains focus by: Jumping on his trampoline.
- 90-day goal: Double the podcast listenership.
“You’ve got some real power to change the way you feel in a given moment by adjusting what you’re thinking about, imagining, how you’re holding your body, and how you’re talking to yourself.”
“You can’t really count on folks looking out for you, you gotta be pretty scrappy with regard to developing your marketability, your value, your assets, in terms of those relationships and those skills such that you’re ready for anything.”
“People tend to overestimate the ROI of a degree and underestimate the ROI of a coach.”
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Pete