Do you fall into the comparison trap? We all do. We compare our success to the success of others. Kevin Stimpson says you are going to find your success in what makes you different, not by trying to copy the success of others.
He’s the co-founder of Strive & Grind along with his wife Devona. They help entrepreneurs and businesses zero on what makes them different as the core element of their brand.
A few lessons worth noting from our conversation include:
- Why Kevin and Devona decided to hire a business coach to help them build a business around their core skills.
- Small, but key actions Kevin took make his transition into self-employment including listening to podcasts, hanging with like-minded people and doing some basic calculations on his potential revenue opportunities.
- Why the visual presentation of your business is so important in today’s world.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community with people who inspire you.
- Telling your story.
- Purge your life by moving to a new city.
- Find success in what makes you different.
How Kevin Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 4:30am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Reach out through content distribution. 2) Focusing on profit-producing activities. 3) Focusing on opportunities for growth.
- Ideal work environment: Apartment set up as the office space with spaces for content creation, lounge area, whiteboards on the walls, books on the shelves.
- Favorite productivity tool: Passion Planner. The 12 Week Year by Brian Moran.
- 90-day goal: $100,000 in new business. Get on 50 podcasts.
“We don’t ever really know what we want until we’ve experienced it.”
“Instead of focusing on everybody else, we need to be focusing on those things that we need to do to move the needle forward.”
“There is no cap on how much money you can make or how often you travel during the year when you work for yourself.”
Personal branding is an increasingly critical aspect of entrepreneurship and one that Kevin’s business focuses on helping others with so to begin understanding your personal brand, Kevin offer this key piece of advice:
Figure out who you want to be.
Distil down the content you take in from influencers, apply it to your life, and build you own voice and message based on your own experiences.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Kevin’s “Influence Wall”