Josh Paulson, wants to inspire you to stop listening to the noise and listen to yourself instead. The whole point of leaving your conventional job is to stop doing what you think you are supposed to do!
He’s the CEO of Quality Cage Crafters, a manufacturing firm that makes high-quality cages for small animals like chinchillas.
The road to owning his business was filled with unconventional twists and turns from beer brewing to mushroom cultivation to shipping box manufacturing.
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- How he became the third owner of a 45-year-old company and knew nothing about manufacturing cages when he started.
- What he learned from fermentation to run his current business.
- What he learned about himself in the process of unsuccessfully pitching investors for cash.
- Why he believes the majority of businesses don’t need debt or investment to start your business.
- How he overcame his crushing shyness.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Reframe your mindset
- Manage your energy
- Purge your life
- Embrace discomfort
How Josh Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Whenever his body gets up.
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Try to live with inbox zero. 2) Marketing and customer service. 3) Building and shipping products.
- Ideal work environment: In the middle of the night, around 1:00 am, with all the warehouse doors open, and super loud music.
- Regains focus by: Currently, doing hot yoga everyday.
- 90-day goal: To surrender and embrace the rollercoaster of the holiday season.
“You have to fail. Keep failing.”
“By changing one thing, it’s gonna affect all the other parts of your business.”
“It pays to be a little lazy.”
“My favorite form of communication is making a physical product that people can use and that adds value to their life.”
Resources + Bonus Materials
Check out Josh’s adorable chincillas!