Mike Holp wants to inspire you to start a business as you travel the world.
He’s in the very early days of getting his business off the ground. I know many of you appreciate when I bring on guests who don’t have it all figured out yet because the lessons are more relatable compared to listening only to super successful entrepreneurs.
I’m so grateful to him for getting vulnerable as I asked him some challenging questions. At times our interview slid into a coaching session which I think we both really enjoyed! This guy’s resourcefulness is inspirational!
Lot of great lessons in our conversations including:
- How he’s been making ends meet by signing up new hosts to Airbnb via their referral program.
- Why pinning your hopes on investors might not be the best strategy.
- Starting a business by sharing your learning journey.
- Why you need to listen to at least 20 of your potential customers to start your business.
- How to start a business as you travel.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Building community.
- Self-directed learning.
How Mike Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 9:30 am
- Ideal work environment: Either in a dedicated co-working space or an Airbnb, somewhere he can settle down and think properly.
- Definition of success: Doing what you love and not caring what other people think.
- Regains focus by: Meditating for anywhere from 5 – 30 minutes or going for a jog.
- 30-day goal: Have 5 paying clients in his consulting business.
- 90-day goal: Be working with clients doing face-to-face, one-on-one coaching and be making money from his photography business.
“I’m creating new entrepreneurs along the way.”
“Just sweating it out and getting the blood flowing, that’s very very helpful and you feel much better afterwards.”
“I need clients now, I need to start conversations with people, I need figure out how I can help them succeed.”
“If you’re not happy now, then what makes you think you’re gonna be happy with a million dollars? You have to be happy now.”
Resources + Bonus Materials
Connect With Mike