Jinny Oh provides loads of lessons about how to grow your business faster by collaborating with your team and even your clients.
She’s a UX designer and founder of WANDR, leading an agile team of B2B product and UX experts.
And she runs her business as she travels all over the world!
Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- Never assume you understand the behaviors of your customers.
- The design for anything begins by first observing.
- Why she hired designers better than herself as she built her team.
- How to grow by letting go, but how it almost sent her business into bankruptcy.
- The pros and cons of never having been conventionally employed.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community.
- Listen actively.
How Jinny Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Around 8:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) Communicating the vision to the team. 2) Setting expectations. 3) Comforting and encouraging the team members.
- Ideal work environment: Working remotely, not having to be on all the time, and having a quiet spot with reliable internet.
- Superpower: Having empathy for pretty much anybody.
- 90-day goal: Making sure that the new COO is onboarded and has everything he needs.
“I’m all about staying super niche in what you do, especially in the service business.”
“Never assume user behavior, you always wanna test as much as possible.”
“It wasn’t about whether I was a good leader or a bad leader, it was a matter of how can we improve, how can we be a better organization for the rest of the team and for our clients?”
“I don’t wanna manage people, but I wanna mentor them and help them be their best selves.”
Intrigued by being a digital nomad? Jinny shared this advice to get started:
1) Have a routine of when you’re going to work and when you’re going to log off.
2) Set a rhythm and make yourself feel like you’re going to work even if you’re working from home.
3) Explore different rhythms to find what works for you.