Lot of great lessons in our conversation including:
- How such discovered her desire to do work that gave her time freedom.
- Why she prefers lots of clients who pay her small amounts of money.
- How she turned her social media spreadsheets into the software that became MeetEdgar.
- Overcoming her self-imposed limitations.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community.
- Self-directed learning.
- Align your habits.
How Laura Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Around 7:00 am
- Core work activities + habits: 1) For MeetEdgar, meeting with the president of the company and helping set overall direction. 2) Marketing for Paperbell. 3) Making product decisions. 4) Doing customer service.
- Ideal work environment: In total silence, by herself, in the one person office she rents.
- Superpower: Influencing others.
- 90-day goal: Generate $25,000 in reoccurring revenue per month for Paperbell.
“I want a life where I’m not always just having that one hour in the evening and the weekend to do what I want to do.”
“It wasn’t so much about the work, it was more about just being able to choose how I spent my time and what I did with my life.”
“My businesses are bootstrapped so I don’t have other people that I’m accountable to for the strategic direction of the business or how fast the business is growing.”
“If you have that one big client, it can be really hard not to feel like you’ve just created a new job for yourself.”
“I’m definitely a believer in just taking those steps forward because you don’t know what that next step is gonna be until you’re there.”
Thinking about becoming a coach? Laura had this advice for overcoming a common obstacle she’s seen in getting started:
1) Narrow in your area of specialization to make communicating your value easier.
2) Pick something you’re excited about, that you could spend all day digging into.
3) After picking something, see how it goes and change it if you don’t end up liking it.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Get one free month of MeetEdgar with code “PODCAST”!
Connect With Laura