That’s a good thing! While you might feel like limitations are holding you back right now, they might be your new best friend in you decided to become self-employed.
Our guest today, Mathew Heggem explain how limitations create opportunity.
He is a self-described modern-day renaissance man, known as the “Dancing CEO” (you’ll discover why when you listen to his interview) and is the co-founder of SUM Innovation, a next generation accounting firm redefining the accounting industry. He says he helps business grow through numbers.
A few lessons worth noting from our chat include:
- Why growth comes from limitations.
- How to remove limitations to uncover new opportunities.
- How automation is changing the accounting profession and creating new opportunities.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Embrace discomfort.
- Self-directed learning.
- Reframe your mindset.
How Mathew Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: Between 6:00 and 7:00am.
- Ideal work environment: For some work, like emails, it’s while he is traveling. For creative work and thinking, he prefers working at home.
- Definition of success: On a daily basis, leaving every interaction with a sense of accomplishment or understanding. On a macro scale, gaining more understanding on job creation.
- Definition of financial success: Reconciling and embracing both the qualitative and quantitative outputs of creative endeavors.
- 90-day goal: Achieve deeper integration in the business.
“We’re helping people to grow through numbers.”
“It’s in the integration where you get the innovation and in the innovation is where you get your uniqueness.”
“Help each other. It’s all about working with people, at the end of the day.”
“We are giving accountants the opportunity to be human again.”
If you feel overwhelmed by competing priorities or interests, Mathew recommends integrating different aspects of your life by:
1) Getting people from different working spheres together to examine each other’s objectives, places of overlap and ways you can all support each other’s missions.
2) Find people to work with if you don’t already work with others. This can help you to see yourself and your business goals through a different lens.
Resources + Bonus Materials
Get a free accounting technology consultation from SUM Innovation. Tell Mathew you heard him on the Life Skills That Matters podcast!