Have you been considering financial planning as a self-employment option? Even if you haven’t, Burak Alpaslan packs this episode with loads of great insights about making the transition from employment to self-employment. Of course, he shares his advice on becoming a financial planner too!
Burak has been a financial planner for the past 12 years. You can learn more his firm at Vital Planning.
If you are married with young children like his was when he started out, he shares how to talk to your spouse about your aspirations including:
- Share your feelings, not just your rational thoughts.
- Share your plan, both your transition plan and your business plan.
- Involve your spouse in your plans and ask them about their needs in your transition to self-employment.
In our conversation, he offers advice on how to start and grow your financial planning business including:
- How he got his first clients.
- Some of the training and certification required to become a financial planner.
- How much you can expect to make your first year.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Build community.
- Self-directed learning.
How Burak Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 5am
- Ideal work environment: Working with people to help them achieve their financial goals in his office.
- Definition of success: Emotional satisfaction.
- Book recommendation: Think and Grow Rich
- 90-day goal: Take some time for some rest and relaxation.
“I want to empower people to do what they are really good at doing and enjoy doing.”
If you are getting ready to transition to self-employment, Burak offers advice on how to prepare yourself financially:
1) Understand your goals. Get focused.
2) Calculate your burn rate. How much money are you spending monthly? (Find out by downloading our Lifestyle Calculator.)