If not, you’ll definitely want to listen to this interview! We’re talking to Quinn Askeland, an amazing affiliate marketing expert from down under in Australia who’s been doing it for the last 7 years or so.
We’re not going to dive into the nitty-gritty tactics of starting an affiliate marketing business. Instead, we are going to touch on some affiliate marketing 101 lessons like:
- Defining affiliate marketing.
- Approaches to identify niches to build your affiliate marketing model around.
- Attracting an audience with content vs. using Facebook ads.
Of course, Quinn will share his journey into the world of affiliate marketing, as well as some of his do’s and don’ts. He’s even created a quick start guide to affiliate marketing for you.
You can check out his first affiliate marketing website at Jobaroo, an online resource to help Australian backpackers find jobs. He is also the founder of Cubicle Free, a collection of resources to help you live the laptop lifestyle.
Life Skills That Matter In This Episode
- Self-directed learning.
How Quinn Works and Thinks
- Wake up time: 4:50 am.
- Core work habits: Being creative, being organized, and meditating.
- Ideal work environment: Early in the morning before everyone else is awake, in the flow state.
- Superpower: Gaining people’s trust.
- Book recommendation: The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness by Jeff Olson.
- 90-day goal: Focusing on Facebook marketing,
“Even if you make loads of money, what I’ve discovered is if you aren’t fulfilled and happy it’s all for naught.”
“It’s not about the money. It’s never about the money.”
“You have to become more than you are now to become more.”
There’s a lot of advice out there about affiliate marketing, some good and some…not so good. Here are Jeff’s top practices to avoid when getting started with affiliate marketing:
1) Don’t purchase links back to your site; use Facebook ads instead.
2) Don’t have affiliate relationships with just one company (e.g., Amazon); diversify instead.
3) Don’t purchase an expensive affiliate marketing course that feels too good to be true; check out lower-cost resources like Udemy instead.
Resources + Bonus Materials
My previous interview with Quinn on my old podcast UnStuckable: